Helping our congregation live out its baptismal promises by committing an adult member to pray for each child, youth and college student in our church specifically by name.
“I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers…”
Prayer Buddies offers...
A covenant between generations
Adults and older teens who pray for children and youth
Tangible expressions of baptismal vows
A commitment to every child, youth and college student in our congregation
- As an extension of our Baptismal Promises, a prayer buddy will be provided for all children and youth of the church.
- Each Fall, adult volunteers will be recruited and assigned to one or more prayer buddies for a period of one year.
- As children are placed on the Baptism Roll (because parents join the church or they are baptized) a prayer buddy will be found for them.
- We will have prayer buddies for students through the first four years of college.
- Mentors will serve as prayer buddies for members of the Confirmation class.
- The goal of Prayer Buddies is to more completely live out our baptismal vows to the children of our church by committing one person each year to pray for each child specifically by name.
- The Youth Committee will intentionally communicate to children and youth that they are being prayed for by a caring adult.
- Emphasis is placed on supportive prayer rather than inter-personal contact.
- We assume that prayer buddies will not regularly meet face to face.
- Youth/students are invited to share prayer concerns with their adult prayer buddies.
- The Youth Committee will regularly communicate with adult prayer buddies via email to share reminders and prayer ideas.
- Periodically throughout the year, children and youth will be invited to share prayer concerns in Sunday School or other venues – these will be communicated to their prayer buddies.