The Presbyterian Church of Western Springs was founded in the spring of 1955 when four couples met with the Presbytery of Chicago’s Church Extension Board for the purpose of starting a new congregation in Western Springs. On September 11, 1955, Warren Graham, a McCormick Theological Seminary student and a founding group held their first worship service at the Forest Hills Elementary School. On December 18, 1955, the Presbytery of Chicago formally chartered the Presbyterian Church of Western Springs with 67 members and a Sunday School of 56 students. A congregation was born!
Construction of the church building began in 1959 and the first building was completed in the spring of 1960. Since that time, vital ministry and mission has been at the heart of this vital community of faith.
In its history ,The Presbyterian Church of Western Springs has been led by three senior pastors, the Reverend Warren E. Graham (1955-1970), the Reverend David Bebb Jones (1970-2000), and the Reverend Jennifer Burns Lewis (2003-present), and four associate pastors, the Reverend Mark L. Gauen (1986-1991), the Reverend Karen Cobb Cadman (1991-1995),the Reverend Jennifer S. Parker (1996-1998), and the Reverend Thomas A. Brown (1999-2012).
Throughout its history, the Presbyterian Church of Western Springs has maintained a commitment to serving the needs of its congregation and the community. An addition to the building in 1999 brought greater accessibility and increased classroom space. Through pastoral care, programs and a deep commitment to mission beyond our walls we continue to serve with energy, intelligence, imagination and love.